Friday, August 8, 2008

o808O8 historical day






An edited article : 

On the night of August 8 2008, the sound of heavy footsteps thundered across the "Bird's Nest" as colossal burning "footprints" marched in the sky along Beijing's central axis all the way through the Olympic Green to the National Stadium. As the last "footprint" lit up the sky above the National Stadium, spectators all over the world began a virtual tour of Chinese culture; what they saw was ancient China and young China, a nation wishing to build a harmonious home together with friends from all parts of the world. More than 20 000 performers from all parts of China including Hong Kong, Macao and Chinese Taipei, regaled audience members with martial arts performances and artistic story telling through song and dance. Approximately 91,000 people in the National Stadium, popularly known as the 'Bird's Nest,' a history lesson in China's contribution to world civilization. The spectators that packed the stadium held the first of some seven million tickets to the 2008 Beijing Games, in which nearly 11,000 athletes will jump, run, cycle, fight, swim, sail, ride and shoot their way to Olympic glory. Opening on 8th day of the 8th month of 2008, the 18-day-long Olympic Games will take place in 37 different venues, and will award a grand total of 302 Olympic medals to the winning athletes. Then, the moment that more than 91,000 audience members and billions more around the world had been waiting for arrived “the Olympic Torch appeared” carried around the arena by eight torchbearers. The 7th bearer, champion Volleyball player Sun Jinfang, passed the flame to legendary Chinese gymnast Li Ning, who was hoisted high into the air to "run" along the roof's edge. When he reached the cauldron that had unfurled during the athlete's march through the stadium, a burst of flame lit up the sky. The Ceremony ended with another magnificent fireworks display staged by a total of 600 engineers from hundreds of locations around the city, some as far away as the Great Wall of China. On the ever-changing backdrop and accompanied by amazingly complex displays of fireworks, the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games was launched, literally, with a bang.

My words:

I only get the chance to watch the open ceremony in live television but not in Beijing, China. As for me, I don’t really like to watch sport games, but due to the title of ‘Olympic’, I shall watch it on my free time. Not only that, the Beijing’s mascots impressed me with their colourful and has their own personalities. Like the Five Olympic Rings from which they draw their color and inspiration, Fuwa will serve as the Official Mascots of Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, carrying a message of friendship and peace. Each of Fuwa has a rhyming two-syllable name. This is a traditional way of expressing affection for children in China. Beibei is the Fish, Jingjing is the Panda, Huanhuan is the Olympic Flame, Yingying is the Tibetan Antelope and Nini is the Swallow. When you put their names together -- Bei Jing Huan Ying Ni -- they say "Welcome to Beijing," offering a warm invitation that reflects the mission of Fuwa as young ambassadors for the Olympic Games. For sure I’ll choose the green one by the name ‘NINI’. It represents my name as well. For the truth I like the red pattern with blue colour. Anyone can make me that? I don’t think so. If anyone going Beijing or China please helps me get all the five Fuwas. Get original not the pirated one. Your help will be appreciated. I’m a bit of mad with mascots. As for now I only have the year 2002 FIFA world cup mascot which I bought it from Korea. Now I regretted because I did not buy the 2006 FIFA world cup mascot in Germany. Sigh. And it’s too late for me to fly back to Germany just to get the mascot. And hope I have faith with all the mascots so that I manage to collect all of them. Thank you! 

No comments: